Saturday, July 3, 2010

Tomato plant, Cleome Spinosa, White Clover - July 2010

Grape Tomatoes
growing in a hanging basket.
I am trying something a little different this year. I usually plant tomatoes in patio pots.
These seem to be thriving well and are certainly easier to maintain.


A cluster of blooms -

Montauk Daisy, Heuchera (Coral Bells) and Russian Sage



Cleome Spinosa

I plant very few annuals but I usually have a bed of Cleome Spinosa (Spider Flower)
Those above are just blooming but as the summer progresses they can get to 4ft tall and need no special attention.
They are propagated by seed. They love full sun but can thrive in half-shade also. Originated in Tropical America and were introduced into Britain in 1817.
They have a very strong odor and are sometimes referred to as the Gas Plant

White Clover

When I moved here I had an entire fallen tree laying on the total area of the small lawn.
The tree had been there for some time (since the October Storm). When it was finally removed all of the grass was gone and only a few weeds survived.
I threw down some random grass seeds and little by little the lawn showed up. What I wasn't expecting was so much clover. As you can see it covers a very large area. What I have discovered is that it is a terrific substitute for grass. It aerates the soil, regulates nitrogen, and doesn't need fertilizing. It is also attractive, needs less mowing, attracts (good) pollinators, stays green during the heat of the summer and it is drought tolerant.
I will let you know how it progresses.



My organic magazine suggests 8 ounces of seed per 1,000 square feet.This perennial is sown in Spring or Summer so I am planning to add more seed to the still barren areas and will see what happens.

If you like to walk barefoot White Clover is also easy on the feet.




A small bouquet of the Shasta Daisies

*****

July Chores

  • This is the perfect time to bring those seedlings outdoors and transfer plants from pots into the ground.
  • potted roses, shrubs, trees, ground covers, vines, and perennial and biennial herbs. Flowers, shrubs, trees, ground covers, and vines should all be planted now.
  • Sow perennial and biennial herb and flower seeds outdoors.
  • Sow seeds outdoors for succession plantings.



photos by peacesojourner

No comments: