Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Japanese Iris - June 2009


Japanese Iris (Iris ensata or Iris kaempferi) flowers are distinctly 
different from those of bearded or Siberian Iris




There is often a confusion that surrounds this group: Once they were known as Kaempferi Irises, today many call them "The Butterfly Irises", but the correct common name is simply "Japanese Iris." 
In luscious colors of purple pink, and endless bicolors, they have been cultivated in Japan for over 500 years, and were once restricted to enjoyment by royalty only. 




 Though many think they are, they are not water dwellers. 
They require about the same conditions as ferns, astilbes or impatiens--just moist ground, which most all gardeners can easily provide.

As you can see by the photos, these iris blooms are quite different from the tall "stand-up" flowers of the big Bearded Irises. With Japanese Irises, both sets of petals are more flat, forming a simpler, flatter--and many think more beautiful--flower. Japanese Irises form large lavish hardy clumps and are highly decorative. They're also great for cutting.

Height: 2’ to 3’ width: 1’ to 2’
Perennial
USDA hardiness zone 2 to 9
Blooms late spring to mid summer





 I moved to Western New York from Massachusetts two years ago and I left behind most of my furniture.  
However, I did bring the things that are most important to me.  I made several nine hour drives to transport my personal mementos, books and flowers. Yes,  most of those trips were to bring the flowers from my English flower garden to my new address.

The house that I moved into is over 100 years old and what was unbelievable to me was there was not ever one single plant, flower or shrub in the garden.  

To my mind, gardening is a blend of art and science. This new landscape was an empty canvas waiting to be painted with the colors of flowers, and foliage. 

The flowers that you see here are some that I transported from my previous garden. I now have a full sun garden and they are doing very well here.  They fiercely multiplied this past year.


It has been very chilly here this week but today I was able to spend time outside with some of the usual garden chores with weeding at the top of the list. :-)

*****

Photos by peacesojourner


No comments: