Saturday, June 13, 2009

Welcome to the Peace Garden



This is your first glimpse of the  Peace Garden
which is located in the rear of my home



Bearded Iris



Bearded Iris - yellow and purple

Lilac

(Syringa X Prestoniae)

I moved to Buffalo almost two years ago and the rear garden was mostly uneven black asphalt and plenty of weeds. Oh, and did I mention the tree that was lying uprooted from a neighbor's garden that was covering the entire area.

We finally got the tree removed months later and I was lucky to find a wonderful woman in the community who did a lot of the heavy work for me. She dug out, and prepared  a border on three sides of the garden and I was able to plant some of the many plants that I brought with me from Massachusetts. 

The weather and temperatures are very similar in Western New York and Western Massachusetts so most of the plants survived the harsh winter.

There are days when I wish the TV Makeover people would knock at my door and announce that they are here to transform the area. But no luck there, so it has been a long, slow, plodding, hard work process to get the garden established. 
Those of you who are diehard gardeners will understand when I say that the work is rewarding. :-)

In the photos above you can see the beginnings of the now named 
"Peace Garden"

1 comment:

Maggie's Magic Pantry said...

I think your garden is looking lovely, and will be much better for being 'from the heart' than if those TV people showed up. (But then again, they'd do all the work!!). Maggie