Monday, June 1, 2009

Oriental Poppies


Gardening is one of my passions and I have decided to do a 
little writing about this topic. I hope that you enjoy what you see here.



 These Oriental Poppies were alongside a local parking lot.
When I got out of my car I couldn't resist snapping a couple of pics.



For dramatic brilliance, few flowers even come close to the flamboyant Oriental Poppy. Big, 4-8" ruffled blooms atop 2-4' stems create garden enchantment for weeks in late spring and early summer.




Iridescent petals with the texture of crinkled silk are vibrantly colored and enhanced by fluffy, dark stamens in the center. Very hardy and easy to grow. They grow in clumps and spread 18-36" wide. They flourish in almost any soil and are immune to most diseases and pests. 

This perennial can be grown in Zones: 3-8 - Full sun to partial shade.



Photos by peacesojourner

No comments: